Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Wat Rong Khun and Chiang Rai, Thailand

Wat Rong Khun is a Buddhist temple placed thirteen kilometers south of Chiang Rai. The temple was designed by Chalermchai Kositpipat, with its construction first starting in 1996 and hopefully finishing in 2070.
The temple is quite unconventional, with the inside of it featuring paintings of Superman, Batman and Matrix character Neo. I read that Kositpipat thought that those classic superheroes and movie characters shared the same values of Buddhists, though I can't quite see it myself. Buddhism isn't a religion I know a lot about though, so maybe the connection is there. If you see it, please comment =)
Photo via Flickr. While I was researching this post I decided to look into Chiang Rai, a city that was founded in 1262. I found this picture of the beautiful Clock Tower which was built in 2008 in commendation of King Bhumibol Adulyadej and thought I'd include it in this post as it is so lovely.
Definitely going there. Would you? Chloe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment